N.H.P. Laboratories tests over 800 ingredients employing a very wide spectrum of specialized and often specific methods. All these tests are conducted at our state-of-the-art, 8000 sq. ft. ISO 17025 accredited laboratory. Ingredients include herbs, vitamins, minerals, and nutraceuticals, as well as vegetable and fish oils.
To ensure products’ adherence to all relevant Health Canada guidelines as well as labelling requirements, numerous specialists are dedicated to total quality assurance.
The laboratory includes 1 ICP-MS (NexION® 2000 ICP-MS), 4 HPLCs, 4 UHPLCs, 2 GC-FIDs, 2 GC-MSs, 1 headspace, 2 spectrophotometers, 1 ICP-OES, 1 UPLC-MS/MS, 1 HPTLC, 1 NIR, and 1 microscope as well as a DNA extractor/purifier, DNA quantifier and a real time PCR unit. The laboratory, QC, and QA is staffed by 3 PhDs, 7 MScs, and 12 BScs, who devote over 880 hours of testing and research weekly.
Their experience includes:
- Decades of experience in the biotech sector in the field of chromatography, which includes TLC, HPLC, GC, GC‑MS, LC‑MS/MS, and ICP‑OES;
- Decades of experience in pharmaceutical and natural health product fields;
- Des décennies d’expérience dans les domaines des produits pharmaceutiques et des produtis de santé naturels;
- Strong knowledge in United States, British, and European pharmacopeias, as well as ICH, GLP, and cGMP guidelines.
Their fields of expertise include:
Their fields of expertise include Biotechnology, enzymology, chemistry, biodistribution, sterility, microbiology, and protein chemistry, and extends to many other specializations.
The team has strong backgrounds in procedural development of laboratory quality-management systems, and are proficient in qualitative and quantitative testing of ingredients and finished products.
The Laboratory Director is specialized in method development and validation of natural health products and dietary supplements. The staff’s research has been published in several peer-reviewed journals.
The ISO quality-control experts maintain their knowledge at the leading edge by regularly attending seminars and training conferences.
Our products undergo testing for:
- Identity – To identify an ingredient is to ensure that the ingredient matches the species it is claimed to be; for example, this is borage oil seed and no other seed.
- Potency – To confirm the potency of an ingredient is to ensure the ingredient is at the strength it is claimed to be; for example, grape seed will keep, contain, and meet the 95% proanthocyanidins label claim.
- Oxidation – Some products can go rancid with time. Our oxidation testing absolutely ensures our products maintain the highest levels of quality and freshness, as well as the lowest level of peroxide, all the way through to expiration.
- Disintegration – Capsules, softgels, and tablets must dissolve in the stomach; on the other hand, enteric-coated capsules, such as those of Acidophilus Ultra, must only dissolve in the intestines. Our disintegration testing mimics the human digestive system to ensure all products dissolve at the right place and at the right time.
- Purity – To establish the purity of an ingredient is to test for freedom from contaminants.
These contaminants include:
- Heavy metals – The Earth is permeated by natural levels of heavy metals. Ground crops are especially susceptible. Our testing guarantees the safety of our products.
- Over 80 different pesticides, Total PCBs, Solvent residues – These chemicals are dangerous and can contaminate ingredients at any stage. We work only through our relationships with trusted suppliers. That said, our testing absolutely ensures our products are free from these contaminants and their dangers.
- Aflatoxins, mycotoxins, Dioxins, Microbial Contamination – Testing only for microbial contamination is not enough. Our testing guarantees our products are free from microbial contamination, as well as any residue these bacteria can produce.
We invest over 880 hours per week testing thousands of ingredient samples prior to inclusion in every Vitazan product. All ingredients are tested for identity, purity, and potency to verify the accuracy and integrity of every certificate of analysis. Our industry-specific scientific team employs advanced analytical equipment to examine the fingerprint of all the constituents of ingredients rather than only specific marker compounds. This permits us to truly determine the specific genus and species of every ingredient, to confirm identity as well as potency for specific compounds that deliver therapeutic benefits, as well as freedom from contaminants. The body of work being compiled within our analytical lab allows us to acknowledge seasonal and geographical variability of natural products, yet is also precise enough to recognize adulterated or spiked ingredients.