ISO 17025 accredited Laboratory
N.H.P. Laboratories tests over 800 ingredients employing a very wide spectrum of specialized and often specific methods. All these tests are conducted at our state-of-the-art, 8000 sq. ft. ISO 17025 accredited laboratory. Ingredients include herbs, vitamins, minerals, and nutraceuticals, as well as vegetable and fish oils.
To ensure products’ adherence to all relevant Health Canada guidelines as well as labelling requirements, numerous specialists are dedicated to total quality assurance.
The laboratory includes 1 ICP-MS (NexION® 2000 ICP-MS), 4 HPLCs, 4 UHPLCs, 2 GC-FIDs, 2 GC-MSs, 1 headspace, 2 spectrophotometers, 1 ICP-OES, 1 UPLC-MS/MS, 1 HPTLC, 1 NIR, and 1 microscope as well as a DNA extractor/purifier, DNA quantifier and a real time PCR unit. The laboratory, QC, and QA is staffed by 3 PhDs, 7 MScs, and 12 BScs, who devote over 880 hours of testing and research weekly.
Our products undergo testing for:
- Identity – To identify an ingredient is to ensure that the ingredient matches the species it is claimed to be; for example, this is borage oil seed and no other seed.
- Potency – To confirm the potency of an ingredient is to ensure the ingredient is at the strength it is claimed to be; for example, grape seed will keep, contain, and meet the 95% proanthocyanidins label claim.
- Oxidation – Some products can go rancid with time. Our oxidation testing absolutely ensures our products maintain the highest levels of quality and freshness, as well as the lowest level of peroxide, all the way through to expiration.
- Disintegration – Capsules, softgels, and tablets must dissolve in the stomach; on the other hand, enteric-coated capsules, such as those of Acidophilus Ultra, must only dissolve in the intestines. Our disintegration testing mimics the human digestive system to ensure all products dissolve at the right place and at the right time.
- Purity – To establish the purity of an ingredient is to test for freedom from contaminants.
These contaminants include:
- Heavy metals – The Earth is permeated by natural levels of heavy metals. Ground crops are especially susceptible. Our testing guarantees the safety of our products.
- Over 80 different pesticides, Total PCBs, Solvent residues – These chemicals are dangerous and can contaminate ingredients at any stage. We work only through our relationships with trusted suppliers. That said, our testing absolutely ensures our products are free from these contaminants and their dangers.
- Aflatoxins, mycotoxins, Dioxins, Microbial Contamination – Testing only for microbial contamination is not enough. Our testing guarantees our products are free from microbial contamination, as well as any residue these bacteria can produce.